Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A healthy recipe....

Like I said in my earlier post, I've eaten enough junk this summer to last me for quite some time. I usually do try to get good food in this family and we often have meatless meals, or fish, or whole grains and we always have some veggies....but looking at it from an overall nutrition standpoint for the entire week, I can see we still get too much sugar and fat and not enough fruit and veggies.


Since I control much of what comes in this house....and much of what goes in their bellies, I realized that I need to be the one to take the plunge and just stock up on the good stuff. The past few days have been going well and no one has revolted.....yet. Well...K is daydreaming of junk food a lot, but she probably did that before and just didn't tell me about it.


Having said all that, I did allow one ice cream purchase today for the whole family to share. Hey...I'm keeping it real. We are not going to go to the extreme here. Just overall healthier is the goal. :) I've been looking for recipes and have copied quite a few to try later. I did want to share a recipe for Easy Hummus. I found one online and tweaked it. A common ingredient in hummus is tahini and while I do have tahini in the pantry I don't really love tahini. K definitely doesn't care for it, so I made it without. It was good....really good!! Best part...K loved it.


Try it out for yourself.


1-15 ounce can of garbanzo beans, drained
(reserve liquid)
2 cloves of Garlic(or less if you don't like it real garlicy)
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon salt


Combine everything in a blender or food processor. Blend on low speed and slowly add liquid from beans, if needed, to reach desired consistency.


I used raw veggies and whole grain crackers as dippers.
A healthy recipe for a quick snack or appetizer.
Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Frizzy said...

Too funny! I'm posting a hummus recipe for Thursday too. Can't wait to make this. I think it's very similar to Giada DeLorentis' hummus recipe and I love hers!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Mmmmm...I love hummus but never have tahini on hand. I'll be sure to give your recipe a try...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!