Tuesday, March 30, 2010

a little taste of my own medicine...

I love to cook and create yummy foods. It's fairly easy for me to combine a few recipe ideas, delete some ingredients, add a tad of this, and a pinch of that and wind up with a unique dish. Recipes are generally considered ideas in my book. Now, I do sometimes follow recipes if it is something I've never made before and always if it's something baking related. However, the rest is just fair game. Some meals have been wonderful and some have been "eh" at best. The thing that drives Mike crazy is that I often don't make the exact same thing twice. If he really loves something he wants to have it again. However, it might not come out the exact same way! I have gotten better and when I find a winner I do try to make note of what I did....you know, before I forget. (which some days can be frighteningly quick! Anyone else out there finding their memory getting shorter??)

Another problem is sharing recipes with friends. Some are much easier to share than others. However, it tends to be the "little bit of this, a little bit of that" recipes that get requested the most. UGH! It's frustrating on my part to want to share with them and having to exercise my brain as I figure out how to explain what I did. Of course, I never really considered the frustration on their part. That is until this......


The other day I was planning to make roasted potatoes as part of our dinner. I had been using a seasoning blend that K had put together from an Emeril cookbook that she borrowed from the library. The cookbook had been returned and I realized that I had never copied the recipe. Well, now the mix was gone and I was going to just have to wing it.

K said she would take care of it. Next thing I know spices are flying...and she is creating her very own "a little bit of this and a little bit of that" recipe. I know some of the stars in the mix were celery seed, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, thyme, dill weed, chili powder, Hungarian paprika, salt, and pepper.

The potatoes turned out "oh so delicious". However, I can't ask K for the recipe.

That frustrates me!
(and oddly pleases me at the same time)

Yes, my very own daughter is giving me a little taste of my own medicine.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tammy, I know the feeling! My daughter makes better homemade biscuits than I do and I'll be danged if I'm going to ask her to show me how she does it. It's supposed to be the other way around!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Those potatos look beyond delicious!

Kristin @ Meanbean said...

That's pretty awesome medicine, I have to say. I'm a terror in the kitchen, I have to have a recipe that's simple, and I follow it to the letter :)

Only then does my cooking taste reasonably good :)