Wednesday, January 2, 2013

For the Birds


Yes, it's been a while, but I'm here shaking the dusty blog off for the new year.  I've really missed it.  This year I do have lots of plans and hopefully I'll get to share them here.

I find it funny that my very last post here was about Kristin and birds.  Why is that funny?   Because today's post is about Kristin and birds! This was definitely not intentional, but it works for me.   She does love her birds.  So much, in fact, one of her Christmas gifts was a year subscription to Birds & Blooms.




The magazine sure came in handy when we discovered that a runaway loaf of bread had been spending a 10 day vacation in the back of my car.   Kristin knew just what to do with this less than fresh loaf of bread. (thankfully it wasn't moldy)




She remembered reading an idea about making bird treats.  That's right, little gifts for birds.



First, she got right to work cutting out shapes with cookie cutters.



You coat one side of the bread with egg whites and press them down into a pile of seeds.  Then you pop them into the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

This is what you get after they come out of the oven.  
A nice crispy treat!  I'm sure if I were a bird, I'd be all over this!!


She added them to the platform out back, along with some yummy (yuck) worms, cracked corn and peanut balls. 



Some went in little hiding spaces to surprise her feathered friends.




And some were hung in branches and looked pretty.  Now, we're just waiting to see what they think.    

Don't forget your feathered friends during the cold winter.
Later on I'll share another treat Kristin is planning for the birds.