Monday, January 7, 2013

Pinterest Project Post

So, who hasn't already been sucked into the Pinterest black hole?  You go on there to just spend a few minutes and next thing you know an hour has passed by and your head is swimming with all the things you can do, make, try, etc.   However, you can quickly clear your head and rest assured that all the wonderful stuff you just saw is safely pinned under proper headings on your very own board.

But...

those projects, tips, decorating ideas, recipes, and destinations just sit.  You actually have to make time to do them!  Who knew?    This year one of my goals is to actually try more of the ideas that I have personally pinned and share the results right here.  I have seen blog posts of several "Pinterest Fails" and to me those are kind of funny.   I guess maybe not funny if a lot of money was invested, but I still get a chuckle out of most.   My plan isn't to post a lot of fail stories.  No, I'm hoping that ALL my pins are valuable tidbits of information.
For my first project I decided to try out homemade laundry powder.  I saw this "recipe" here and thought it was a wonderful solution for my laundry woes.  Woes = trying to find a good detergent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

You can read the specifics on the original blog, but here are some of my pictures and thoughts.


I was able to find everything I needed in the cleaning aisle at Wegman's.  I am actually keeping track of just how many loads I get out of this and I will eventually report back with a cost analysis for you.  I see on the How Does She? blog that she reports it lasting a year based on six loads a week.  Well, in five days I've already done twelve loads.  Guess what. This stuff is not going to make a year, but just how long will it last?  


My detergent looks different than the original post because I used Fels-Naptha and a different scent of the fabric softener.   I will tell you that this stuff does smell good and clean. At the same time, though, your clothes don't come out overpowered with scent.  There is some scent, but I was concerned that it was going to be too strong.  I'm happy to report that is NOT the case.


I used the Oxi Clean tub as my container to hold detergent for daily use and the rest is store in my five gallon bucket.   I can tell you that there is hardly a dent in it after the twelve loads.   The best part is that it does really seem to be cleaning our clothes.  So far, I have no complaints on this one.  Stay tuned for the update with the cost per load.  I imagine that will be sometime late spring.

Eventually, I hope to get others together to post once a week on their Pinterest Projects and to link up together here, so we have a place for readers to get reviews.  If this is something that you are interested in, please let me know and I'll set it up. In the meantime, I'll just keep on with my goal of trying out my pins. 







3 comments:

gail said...

wow Tammy good for you. If I ever get my Washing Machine back working I will look into this...

Kym said...

I keep meaning to try making my own detergent too. Do you have an HE washer?

tammy said...

Kym...Yes, I do have a HE washer and it is working great in there.

If anything, I need to add some more fabric softener. I noticed that in the original post she said she added fabric softener to the recipe that she had and she added double what I added.(her containers were bigger) I do have a little static action going on, but haven't decided if it's worth buying more softener. ;)