Thursday, June 2, 2011

6 Recipes that SCREAM Summer to Me

I find that there is quite a difference in the types of recipes I use according to the seasons. I love to take advantage of fresh ingredients that are in season as they have a much better taste AND they are more affordable. Who really enjoys what they call "tomatoes" in the grocery store during the winter? Another thing that dictates the types of recipes I consider is the weather. Let's face it...cooking a soup that takes 4 hours isn't quite as appealing in the blistering heat of August as it is in the bone chilling frost of February.

Last night while we were eating dinner, I pulled out a notebook and started quizzing the family on recipes for the summer. What were they looking forward to eating? For some reason, I had a mental block going on and was feeling all kinds of stressed out just thinking about menu planning and grocery shopping this week. After dinner, K and I pulled out my big disorganized recipe binder and went through pages of favorites that had been stored (stuffed) between the cover. Now, I'm not so sure why I had the temporary lapse into freak-out mode, because there were some yummy recipes in there calling my name and waving the summer friendly flag.

Lucky you, I decided to share my top 6 'Can't Wait' to make again Summer friendly dishes!

6. Black Bean Salad with Lime Dressing: This one is so incredibly good. I like to make a big dish of it and then we pick on it for lunches and even snacks during the week.

5. Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps: My whole family loves these so I have to triple if I even want a chance of having leftovers for lunch! I do actually serve this during other seasons, but they are great for a summer meal when it's so hot you don't want anything heavy. I usually make some rice and cut up some fresh fruit, like pineapple, to go along with the wraps. Oh, and if you have a Trader Joe's close by, look for their Thai Lime and Chili Cashews. They add some extra wow to this dish and I'll admit we don't stick to the amount called for in this recipe!

4. Quinoa Taco Salad: This recipe never fails me. I add the black beans, avocado and tomatoes. This is another one that I like to double and then use the leftovers for lunch. I think I could make this weekly and be happy about it!!


3. Hawaiian Burgers: Well, I don't have a link for this one, but the recipe is quick and easy so I'll share here.


Hawaiian Burgers
2 lbs. ground turkey
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 T low sodium Soy Sauce
2 cloves garlic minced

2 scallions chopped
1/2 c. hoison sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil.


Mix together and form patties. Grill. Also, slice fresh pineapple into rings (or you can use canned) and grill them. Add a grilled pineapple ring on top of each burger. Delish!!


2. Cilantro Lime Dressing: While this isn't a dish, it is a dressing worth making anytime! Because of this very recipe we intentionally bought extra cilantro plants for our herb garden this summer. My 12 year old pretty much inhales this stuff and any salad it's drizzled over. (and that's a good thing!) I've even drizzled it on my rice and veggies before.


And now for the number 1 recipe on my can't wait to make again and let the sun blaze down on me list....


1. Pineapple Black Bean Rice Salad: It's on the menu for next week and I can hardly wait. You can eat this as a side or main dish. Throw a couple of ears of corn on the grill or maybe grill a few skewers of shrimp and let the feasting begin.


So, what are some of YOUR favorite summertime recipes? I'm always looking for fresh ideas and maybe I'll even add it to my "a little more organized this yesterday" recipe binder!

11 comments:

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Oh those recipes all sound so very good and scream "Summer is here!"

Great post.

visiting from #SITS31DBBB

Skinny Mom's Kitchen said...

Great list!! I love learning about new summer recipes. For some reason I am more of a winter cook (maybe because I am in Buffalo, NY) so I am always struggling for summer recipe ideas. These are great. I just post the link on my FB page for my readers to enjoy.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

story girl said...

Those recipes look great! I've been looking for some new ideas to mix things up around here.

Whitney said...

I can't wait to try all of these recipes. They all sound so yummy! BTW I love to eat tomatoes all year long, I'm strange like that!

Jade said...

Yum - Hawaiian burgers sound do good, there's something about adding pineapple that really means summer to me too.

I also love the idea of the first recipe - the black bean salad, beans are such a great quick meal, we always have plenty of tins in the cupboard!

Have a lovely weekend,
Jade

Marcy (Too Timid) said...

These recipes look great for summer! What a perfect time for this post. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic said...

I made some soup recently. As I was eating it I was thinking "This really isn't as good as it was in the winter." I've also found myself in the mood for a lot more smoothies.

iamkionda said...

Those Hawaiian Burgers and the Cilantro Dressing were speaking to me. Thank you SO much for providing the recipe links and instructions. I will definitely give those a try soon. :D

Greener Cleaning Mom said...

I love fish tacos for summer. Last night I had one from Bonefish Grill that had Mango Salsa. Delicious!!! Usually we make them at home and add a fruity salsa. I love all these recipes because they include my favorite flavors: lime, cilantro, pineapple...

junebug said...

That quinoa taco salad sounds fantastic! I am going to be giving it a try. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Yum--all of these sound delish!