Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Getting Excited About Harvest 2011...

It's that time of the year again! All the vegetable plants are safely in the ground, the sun is warm and the days are long. Woohoo!! We were late getting the summer veggies in the ground this year because I underestimated my spring harvest time, but they seem to be taking to the dirt like a duck in water.

Speaking of water....I wish it would rain every once in a while. It was all kinds of wet around here until I planted one week ago. Then, BAM, the waterworks from the sky shut off. Personally, I don't see why it just can't rain every night from 1 am to 4 am. Yep, that would do the trick! Sure wish we could arrange that. For now, I'm spending my evenings in the garden watering and weeding. Hopefully soon, I will add harvesting to that list. Of course, it is awfully peaceful and quiet in the garden...


Hmm, maybe I don't need the rain!

My oregano has grown bigger than I ever imagined. Need to look up recipes using oregano! Have any to share?


We have at least 4 different pepper plants this year. I see signs of peppers on all of them.


I just love when cucumbers grab onto things. It's so cute. I know these will be coming out my ears soon. They usually do really well, here.


See those tomatoes already growing! Yum! The two in the back are sweet 100's. They should be called sweet 1000's, because they produce UNBELIEVABLE amounts of yumminess.



Just trying to be patient and waiting til mid July.



These peas are so delicious. We picked a bowl yesterday and ate them all.



I had to pull this one because it was too crowded. Well, that and I wanted to see how they were coming along. It actually looks like a carrot!



No garden is complete without the squash section.

We have other herbs and veggies growing, as well. I'll share more as they grow and I discover new ways to prepare them.

How is your garden going this year? What do you do when certain vegetables overtake your kitchen table?

I'd love to hear!


3 comments:

Kitchen and Kids said...

Just stopping by from SITS, 31dbbb. I love your garden! I am not a gardener in the least, and so wish I was. Everything looks so wonderful.

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

YAY! It's looking absolutely gorgeous! =) I am so so so jealous of your cucumbers! and that you have an in ground garden -- thats def one of my life goals ;) lol

Hope your week is off to a fabulous start!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

momwithbrownies said...

Oh My Goodness! Your garden looks wonderful. I'm trying "pot" gardening this year. Just a few pots in my front yard so our new dog can't get into them. They aren't looking very promising, but I'm not giving up. :o)