Thursday, August 28, 2008

Our homeschool agenda....


I'd love to share our homeschool agenda, because I am thrilled with it! This year is my second year with just one student. Kid #4 is the only one left at home to school. Her brothers have all graduated and moved on. It has been quite different schooling just one child, let alone schooling a girl!! :o) I consider her a third grader.

We are using My Father's World:Exploring Countries and Cultures. We are learning about geography, geography terms, world religions, missionaries and different habitats. This is our second year of using MFW and we are thrilled. Kid #4 loves the hands on activities that help bring what she is learning to life and I love the planning being all laid out for me. It isn't too much, either.

For Math, we are using Singapore. This is our second year with this program, too. It does lack a bit in explanation, but for the early grades I am finding that I can figure it out. It doesn't overwhelm her, but does move at a fast pace.

In addition to the Bible Study in MFW, we are also using Keys for Kids. These are wonderful devotions that I discovered last year and they are free. Every two months we get a new devotional and the stories are just right for kid #4. I find that often times she will bring up a lesson from the week before when something that day reminds her of the past lesson. That itself is a testimony to how good they are.

We are studying Astronomy this year with Apologia. Last year we did their Zoology 1 book and that was fascinating. I learned more about birds and bugs then I ever knew before and kid #4 became quite a birdwatcher. She still loves feeding her birds and watching them. Her favorite is the American Goldfinch. I have high hopes for Astronomy.

For English we are using several different things. A Beka Grammar, Phonics Pathways, ACSI Spelling, a handwriting book, various readers and library books.

We also love everything from The Critical Thinking Company. Currently we are working on Mind Benders. I think logic is very important and it is something we have done since she started Kindergarten. She loves the workbooks we have and it really only takes a few minutes each day.

Piano lessons will resume in a few weeks and we are going to be taking tennis lessons for 8 weeks with some homeschooled friends. Every other Monday we are also take part in a co-op that will cover music, art and some life science this year. It really is just a chance to get together with friends and learn a few things taught by other moms. My job this year will be to float with the 3rd-4th graders and help in each class. I think I can handle that!!

I have a goal this year to teach kid #4 more about cooking. She loves it and has asked for lessons from me. Today we made some peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies and they were delish. I followed her suggestion and added some peanuts to the dough. She loved seeing her idea work and everyone enjoying the cookies.

Our schedule is fairly loose. We start sometime between 9 and 11 and finish between 1 and 3. It all depends on how quickly we get moving in the morning. We always start with bible and then move from there. I alternate subjects that require lots of reading with subjects that require lots of writing. I keep a notebook beside me and record every subject and page number as she is working on it. That becomes my record for the year. I have each page numbered so I can easily see how many days we have had school. I also went through my notebook and randomly put some fun things to do at the top of the page. One day was hat day and she had to pick her fav. hat to wear. One day we had to play a card game before we started school. (we played Go Fish) Anyway, that keeps it fun for her and adds some spice to our days. While she works on her independent work I slip out of our school room and clean my room, throw in some laundry, empty trash cans, wipe up a bathroom, or whatever else needs to be done. It really helps. Then after school, we do some quick chores that didn't get done earlier. That helps keep the house clean and everyone happy.

I am going to have to look for a verse for this year. There are so many out there to choose from, so I want to give it a little time and reflection.

Thanks for letting me share!!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

We also have Keys for Kids and plan to use it later on as well. Have a great year!

Samantha said...

I am glad to know I'm not the only one with a somewhat relaxed schedule. We have lots of mornings it takes us longer to get into the swing of things, but we always finish before Daddy gets home in the evening.

Anonymous said...

hi! I'm just up the road from you in NJ. enjoy hs just the one!

April B. said...

We also use Keys for Kids and Singapore! We also don't start at 9am every day. I pray you have a blessed year!