Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs #7- Snack Foods


THEME:
Awhile back Mother Dear received a question on what snack foods to buy for homeschooling families, on the go or at home, and she inspired this week’s theme. There are so many different kinds of snack foods, store-bought and homemade, and I would like to invite you to share what snack foods your family usually snacks on throughout the week. You’re welcome to make season lists too. I know there are different meals we eat during the colder seasons than we do in the warmer ones, and I imagine there are also seasonal snack foods as well.

I'm curious to see everyone's lists. I looked at a few and they all sounded the same. It seems homeschoolers snack on fruit and popcorn....A LOT! hehe It's on our list, too. We don't have set snack times, but I do think its more common to have a little snack in the afternoon here then not.

Here's a list of the normal everyday stuff...

Popcorn (probably the most asked for snack by kid #4)
Fruit (bananas, apples with peanut butter, grapes, cherries, berries, oranges, etc) or Fruit Smoothies (made in the vita mix with some baby carrots thrown in!YUM)
White Cheddar Corn Puffs from Trader Joe's
Granola Bars

Wasabi Peas
Yogurt
Nachos with salsa
Cookies.... if they happen to be around

Now for the things I like to throw into the snack selection once in a while....

Homemade Pizza Bagel Bites
Banana Bread
Anything chocolate ;o)

I am trying to make more homemade baked goods, as opposed to store bought. I think I see Pumpkin Bread with mini chocolate chips in the near future. (my daughter just saw this, so I think the near future just got closer!!) Mmmmm, I can almost smell it baking......



4 comments:

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

Homemade bagel bites ~ great idea!

http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

Kim said...

Just made a black bean dip recipe I found on the back of chicken strips!! That would be good with tortilla chips too! Lots of protein!

It was:
1/2 cup black beans, smashed w/fork
1/4 cup prepared salsa
1/4 cup sour cream (I used FF)
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp chopped cilantro

I added some garlic and onion.

I can almost smell the pumpkin bread baking! YUM!

Samantha said...

Thanks for sharing your list!

Anonymous said...

Pizza Bites, yum-that sounds good! You have some great snacks here for sure!

Angela