Monday, October 13, 2008

More Fall Reading...


I am getting so many good books that are OFF my Fall Reading List. It's like one good book leads to another and then another. It all started with a catalog that made it's way into my kitchen. I sat down one day and glanced over the books they were selling. Then I looked them up online and decided to get a few from the library. While I was looking one up, I would stumble on another book. Ah, well....the list is still my Wish to Read this Fall list and I will probably manage it. However, I am going to add quite a few more to my actual "read" list.


Books I just finished:


Beginnings by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Beth Quinn is struggling to find a place to belong in the Old Order Mennonite Community of Sommerfeld, Kansas. When she starts a business designing stained glass windows, two men-one a Mennonite, the other not-begin to vie for her attention. Andrew Braun, a member of the Sommerfeld fellowship, is dedicated to family and faith. Sean McCauley, the son of a successful businessman, may only be interested in Beth's talents. Will Beth look to her heavenly Father to fill the emptiness within, or will her desperate quest for love shatter more than one heart?


Well, can I just say that I loved this book. It is actually the second book in a trilogy, but my library did not have the first book. The third book in on hold and I am next in line to get it. So, hopefully I will have it in a week or two.


The Tender Years by Janette Oke

Author Oke continues the story of Marty and Clark from her "Love Comes Softly" series with this book focusing on their granddaughter Virginia. Just entering her teen years, Virginia is finding life in her household a bit stifling. Although she dearly loves her family, she is anxious to grow up and often finds the family rules and religious beliefs are getting in the way of her fun. When Virginia becomes friends with a lively, outgoing girl named Jenny, she suddenly finds herself questioning her need to obey her parents when she could be enjoying herself with her friends. Unfortunately, Jenny's headstrong behavior soon has tragic consequences.


Ok...can I say, I love this one, too!! Hehe. It is rare that I don't just love a book, so forgive me! I honestly had never read any books by Janette Oke, but I had seen some of the Love Comes Softly movies from Netflix. They were really good. I didn't realize when I read The Tender Years that Marty and Clark were the very same Marty and Clark from the movies. It's been a while since I saw the movie! Now, I am looking forward to reading more of this series....but I will wait until I get some more of my reading list under my belt!


There is something about reading a good book. I wind up stuck in my book and stay up later then I should on most nights. Then during the day while I am doing my routine stuff, I will sometimes think about the book and look forward to some down time when I can pick it up again. Then, comes the end....the last page. I read it and feel satisfied and sad all at the same time. It's hard to have a smile and a frown on your face at the same time...but that is what I often feel like. Ever feel that way???


Hope everyone is in the middle of a good book! If not, get thee to the library!!!

No comments: