Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs #8: Study Spot



THEME:
This week share your favourite spot to study with your kids. There are many places you can sit down to teach, learn, and work, but where do you prefer and why? You’re welcome to include a photo of your study spot! Looking forward to seeing everyone’s!

Over the years, our main study spots have changed. We have had a homeschool area in the dining room, then one in the kitchen and now we actually have a room. Of course, none of those areas kept us confined. When the boys were older, they would actually spread out. Sometimes you would find them in their bedroom working, other times they would be in the family room in front of one of the computers, and at other times you would even find them outside reading. Or, as son #2 just reminded me, you could often find them all reading while sitting on different heating vents with a blanket tented around them! No, the house wasn't that cold...but something about the warm air on a wintry day felt, oh so, good.

I am finding things are not much different with my daughter. Yes, we have a school room and I would say that MOST of our work is done in there. We still roam around though. In fact, yesterday all school work that was accomplished was done in a car in a parking lot waiting for kid #2. We have been known to school in the kitchen. Kid #4 sits at the counter, while I work on getting a meal together. You can sometimes find us taking our books outside enjoying nice weather. If you come by often enough, you might even catch us working at the dining room table, because that is where the laptop is usually set up and I didn't feel like moving it.

However, the assignment was to share our favorite spot. :) Over the many years of homeschooling our kids, I do not think my favorite spot has ever changed!! Nope, for me it has ALWAYS been the same.




Sure the couches have changed, but getting cozy and snuggling up next to a child and sharing a good story or even a textbook lesson has ALWAYS been my favorite. I'll even bet it is all my kids' favorite study spot!

12 comments:

MrsMomma said...

Nothing like a cozy study spot!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I love this: " you could often find them all reading while sitting on different heating vents with a blanket tented around them!" Once it gets chilly, I always find my kids wrapped in blankets on the vents!

momofmhasr said...

I had to lok twice, for just a minute she looked like my oldest dd. Great posting.

partyoffivetn said...

I think my kids would agree with you on the snuggling on the couch reading a book...even though they fight over who gets to sit next to me...it's good to be loved :)

Jody said...

I agree the couch is a good study spot!! Thanks for coming to my blog and reading our spots :). We are ever changing :).

StephF said...

We love the couch too... It is where we always seem to end up... :0)

Tracy said...

Yep looks like ours! LOL! Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I may have to share the blanket-over-the-heating-vent tip with my kiddos. I know two who would probably love that.

Sisterlisa said...

What an inviting sofa in the sunlight!

Renee said...

Sounds wonderful and cozy! Have a great week.

Renee'
http://rmboys1.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

My boys used to huddle around the heaters too! LOL When we did have a schoolroom, they would fight over sitting with a blanket over the space heater. ;~)

Blessings,
Kym

Anonymous said...

Ah. The cozy couch cuddling...(insert contented heavy sigh.)
Many Blessings,
Holly@aiminghigh
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/aiminghigh