Friday, November 14, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs #13: “Mom” Help!


This week I’d like to invite you to share what YOUR “Mom” help is. Some drink coffee, soda, or chai-tea. Others check email or read their favourite blogs. Some talk a walk…. what do you do when you need to clear your head and take a breather?


Whew, being a homeschool mom on call 24 hours a day really can have it's moments. It's not wrong to admit we need a break once in a while to just recharge our batteries. I don't have just one thing that I always turn to for a breather. Sometimes I just love to curl up on the couch and read a book, other times I love to check out other blogs for ideas, and let's not forget mom's lunch or night out. There is something so refreshing about just getting together with other moms and chilling. Someone in the same boat as you, someone to bounce ideas off of and someone that may have been there done that several times over. I have a friend that goes to lunch with me about twice a month. Granted we take our children and it is Chick-fil-a, but it's our time! Also this month, I am hosting mom's game night out with a group of homeschooling moms. Everyone seems to be excited about that and it's not all about the chance to play a game. ;o)


Even with all those relaxing ways, there are still times that call for........chocolate. :) It could be a yummy piece of dark chocolate, a warm, fresh from the oven chocolate chip cookie or an ice-cold, homemade mocha frappucino.



Homemade Chocolate Syrup


1/2 cup cocoa, packed

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon butter


In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix the cocoa and water with a whisk; add sugar and dissolve. Over medium-high heat bring mixture to a boil and continue soft boil about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add salt, vanilla and butter. Stir to combine then let sit until cool. Store in refrigerator. This makes thin, but delicious syrup.


COFFEE


3/4 cup double-strength coffee, cold

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

cup low-fat milk

2 cups ice


Make double-strength coffee by brewing with twice the coffee required by your coffee maker: That should be 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per each cup of coffee. Chill before using. To make drink, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until ice is crushed and drink is smooth. Pour into two 16-ounce glasses, and serve with a straw.


CARAMEL For this version, add 3 tablespoons of caramel topping to the original recipe and prepare as described. Top each glass with whipped cream and drizzle additional caramel over the whipped cream.


MOCHA For this version, add 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup to the original recipe and prepare as described. Top each glass with whipped cream, if desired
Scripture: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

3 comments:

Frizzy said...

SINFUL and I can't wait to make one, two, 10 of those drinks. My daily choice to chill has to be a coke. I have given up Starbucks completely and have opted for regular coffee with creamer at home to jump kick my day. Other than that I find myself needing lots of silent prayer!

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm going to have to make some of these frapps tomorrow, thanks so much for sharing! Mmmmm... ;-D

Speaking from the Heart said...

Today would be a good day for your coffee recipe. I hope you have a good weekend.