Thursday, September 18, 2008

healthy changes...one step at a time...

Getting healthier is my goal for the next year. I figure that taking it one step at a time will take a year....and it seems manageable that way. I don't think one can wake up one morning and decide that from now on they are going to eat only whole foods, exercise daily, go to bed early, cut out sugar, etc. Well, they can decide it, but I don't think it will work all that well. At least for me, it wouldn't!

Fortunately, I don't smoke and don't drink, so I don't have to tackle those habits on my quest to be healthy. We have also been eating healthier over the past year, but it certainly is time to step it up a notch. I find myself slipping back into sugary processed things and that just isn't good.

I plan to post my weekly goals and then follow-up on Thursday with how I did and make some new goals. They will be seemingly simple goals, but if you only knew how difficult some of them will be you would cheer me along!! ;o) I would love to lose weight, but not all the goals will be in that area. The idea is to get healthier....not just lighter.

I have fibromyalgia and managing it can be a pain! (in more ways then one!) However, one thing that really does help those with fibromyalgia is to have some consistent healthy routines. A normal bedtime, regular light exercise, healthy foods, etc. So, it's time for me to just step up to the plate and tackle it head on. I get tired of aching and tired of being tired! It's that struggling with routines thing I shared about earlier that has kept me from being consistent. I am hoping that just putting it out there(or here) will be enough to keep me going on the right track. I look forward to sharing the successes here each week.

GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:

1. Cut out all drinks with sugar and sugar substitutes (except for Stevia)

2. Take a daily vitamin with iron

That's it! I only plan to post two new habits to work on each time. The first one this week will be tough enough. I don't expect to never drink something with sugar in it, but for now I need to cut it out. I need to get in the habit of drinking things like water and tea. The vitamin is needed because the doctor said I was getting low on iron again and she advised a daily multivitamin. It's been months and I haven't even taken one. So....I'm starting today.

Now, I would love to cheer you on, too. So, if you have some changes you want to make please share them on your blog and let me know or just tell me in the comment section here. Let's do it...one step at a time!!!

No comments: